GRAND RAPIDS CHICKS
The Grand Rapids Chicks were one of two new teams to be added to the League in 1945. The League made significant changes administratively. The league started as a non-profit which solicited contributions to the League from businesses in the team cities. The cities had no control over the League. In 1945, the League began franchising the teams and the cities became participants in the administration of the League. The former Milwaukee Chicks moved to Grand Rapids and half of the players from the 1944 team returned to Grand Rapids under this new management. The Chicks were warmly received by the city and the stands were soon filled with fans and inspiring news coverage in the local paper.